EspiDev - Hibiki EspiDev - Hibiki

I think the most troubling aspect of this is how the acoustic soundfonts sound so dry; the piano and strings. The reverb that's hinted on the electric piano would've also worked on those other two elements. The initial drumkit could also benefit from that spaciness. But I like that freshly cheesey slide synth doubling the strings at 01:14, and then the connective tissues at 01:29 were great, but I think to really make that drop matter around 01:41 is when you should've done that halfstep key change. Not sure I really understand the echo of the beginning at 02:44 fading into oblivion...but I can sorta understand why you consider this experimental, at least to your own character. Keep on playing around! I like the experimenting implementions here.

Self Portrait OST Self Portrait OST

01:28 makes me want to take flight and/or painfully transform into a duck.

Azhthar responds:

Why not everything at once? I always want everything, because I´m greedy! It might be hard to follow directions during painful ducktransformation, though...

The Scrap Boy The Scrap Boy

*SWAYS* :(

Mary Mary

I just want to let you know that I had a window open playing this on Newgrounds for a minute or so and then I opened a window of the one on Youtube and the track exploded with beauty because they were still synched to the same tempo, so the plucking became sixteenth echoes except in different starting points and it was just this cascade of soulful harp and I just WANTED TO CRY.

The Mash Potato Mash The Mash Potato Mash

Very groovy. And a somewhat unpredictable melodic line, which is perfect. I suppose that's what you get for using so much chromaticism. The constant change ups of instrumentation, albeit of course in 8-bit language, is also put to good use. Is this supposed to be a loop though? It would make for one catchy loop. Or expanded upon to be a full-length piece, even. I'd really enjoy hearing this as more than just a clip of a general progression/key being repeated and variated. But, it's still very good as it is, just wanna fix that loop for it though, if that is its intention, which is what it sounds like...

Veenomn responds:

Yeah, I changed it to a loop, I honestly just forgot to set it as a loop the first time I uploaded. Thanks for the review!

AIM - Extermination AIM - Extermination

Yaaaas that sorta dancehall beat that starts at 02:34 though! I think this is a good example of an experimental electronic piece. I really enjoy the rather minimal approach so that every sound gets a chance to say what it wants in full. But, I do wish it didn't end so suddenly, especially after such a great groove with the percussion near the end. At least like...a filtered fadeout of the beat going on over the grumbly bass instead of suddenly dropping everything out. But, nice work!

AIM - Theme for the Keeper of the Reef AIM - Theme for the Keeper of the Reef

Y'know...It has its own personality to it while still acting as an underline to the character itself. Interesting that you took a more cutesy route to embody the artwork, because to me the character looks more menacing lol. Also, ocean waves as ambience to any minimalist song makes me instant loves. The altered tambourine sample was a great idea as well. Nice work here!

Maverickmode responds:

Haha yeah I totally see what you mean about the character looking a little more menacing than the way it's portrayed in this song. I probably took the route I did because I found myself imagining this creature's surroundings along with the way it fits into them, and to me a reef is a place that's colorful and bright. I'm glad you liked the tambourine, I thought it sounded like the creature's claw snapping together deep under the water.

AIM - The Spooky Witch Of Creepy Cottage AIM - The Spooky Witch Of Creepy Cottage

YAAAY HALLOWEEN. How fun. Yeah, sounds like you either need a new mic or more attention to mixing. But, your voice fits nicely for this kind of bouncy music. What makes me even more excited is that you recorded the witch vocals and cackling yourself. Major props. The clavichord could have been swapped for another instrument at some point, or done a little more than just plop chords throughout. I really like how the bridge has a major harmonic change that's pretty neat! More reverb on the brass in that section would have been helpful too. Overall, I hope you do more cute Halloween music forever because I have a fetish, but that's okay if not. I'll be keeping watch for more of your...voice...

AIM The Legend of Uncle Dave AIM The Legend of Uncle Dave

No kidding, that sounds like a nightmare to play and sync together. Great use of space with the production and just enough reverb to keep it alive but not drowning. Interesting inspiration for the piece; I wouldn't expect a song of this nature to be featured in a Zelda soundtrack, but it definitely would be a nice change of pace from the generally clanky soundfonts they still like to use ironically. I suppose this is specifically a representation of a personal time period and not the game itself, so whatever. Really nice dinga dinging and drawn out to just the right length of conciseness. I enjoyed this very much.

Daveisgr81 responds:

Thanks for the positive review - it's nice to be called out on the aesthetic side! It is 'about' a time when I was into video games and making music is equal measure: the art inspired the music but the piece isn't necessarily about the work of art that inspired it.

It was a nightmare to record, you're right. Playing the guitar parts so they all aligned took lots of takes... and I am definitely not completely happy with the current recording even if I am drawn to the raw sound!

Thanks again for taking the time to review this - really appreciate it!

AIM - All Shall Burn AIM - All Shall Burn

That filtered noise thing synth you did throughout is really cool. The choir part towards the end was a little awkward for me, in terms of how it was mixed relatively dry. That's also in relation to the other acoustic instruments, like the cello at the beginning. It didn't seem to loop perfectly, but that could just be a player issue (?) I can also agree that it's a little repetitive, but something about that beat with that filtered brutality is fun to listen to for 5 mins. Anyways, thanks bye.